The directions and Ingredients are as follows:
- 5 sheets nori
- 2 cups sushi rice, recipe follows
- 2 ounces sushi-grade tuna, cut into1/4 by 1/2 by 3-inch strips
- 2 ounces sushi-grade salmon, cut into1/4 by 1/2 by 3-inch strips
- 1 hot house cucumber, julienne
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienne
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- Sushi Rice:
- 5 cups short-grain sushi rice
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Place a nori sheet lengthwise on a bamboo rolling mat, shiny-side
2. Position the sheet about 1-inch from the edge of the mat
closest to you and leave some of the bamboo mat exposed on either
side of the nori sheet.
3. Wet your hands in cool water and take a handful
of sushi rice.
4. Place the rice in the center of the nori and use your
fingers to spread the rice evenly over the nori. Be sure to leave a
3/4-inch strip of nori uncovered on the far side.
Place tuna strips and some julienne vegetable, cucumber or avocado
along the center of the rice. Be careful not to overfill the nori.
6. Place your fingertips over the fillings to hold them in place.
7. Then, use your thumbs to lift up the edge of the bamboo rolling
mat closest to you.
8. Begin rolling the mat away from you, while applying
pressure to the fillings to keep the roll firm.
8. Roll the mat over slowly
until it covers the rice and the near and far sides of rice join, still leaving
the 3/4-inch strip of nori, rice-free, exposed. While holding the bamboo
mat in position, apply pressure to the roll with your fingers to make the roll
9. Slice the roll in half, then cut both rolls twice to make 6 equal sized
pieces. Repeat this process with the salmon and various fillings, nori and rice.
Rinse the rice in cold water while stirring briskly to remove any dirt. Drain the
rice completely. Place the rice and the 6 cups of water in a medium sized
saucepan and cover it with a tight fitting lid. Bring the water to a boil over
medium heat. Allow the water to boil for 3 minutes and then reduce the heat
to low and continue cooking 15 minutes without removing the lid. Remove
the rice from the heat and remove the lid (the water should no longer be visible)
Turn the rice out evenly on a well-greased cookie sheet using a spatula or
rice paddle. Sprinkle the rice with the vinegar, sugar, and salt while mixing
with a spatula or rice paddle until the rice reaches body temperature. Keep
the rice covered with damp paper towels or napkin until the rice is ready to use.